Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Day 28: What Can I Say (For Millicent)

If Prince is 12 o'clock and Lenny Kravitz is 6 o'clock, right now it's about 2:30. Neo soulster Van Hunt is an artist who, quite simply, should be more well known. Hunt, writer of Dionne Farris' Hopeless, released his self titled debut album in 2004 followed by On The Jungle Floor in '06, and in '07 he completed work for his third album, Popular, but sadly his now former record company refused to release it. Undeterred, Hunt is currently working on his fourth album slated for an early 2010 release, which will be done independently. Van Hunt is an incredible songwriter whom I was first introduced to by my Beautiful girlfriend, Shiba, and I am glad to have made his acquaintance.

Song: What Can I Say (For Millicent)
Artist: Van Hunt
Album: Van Hunt (2004)

I will narrate the meaning of this song as understood by Shiba. What Can I Say is a heartrending song about a mother figure who has passed away and visits Hunt in his dreams. She's been there through thick and thin, and he can no longer remember the once familiar song she used to sing to him. Though he is crushed to see her go as he wakes, he lives to see her in his dreams and wonders how he can make her stay
"'Cause I love to hate the feeling
Don't want to deal with the morning after
What can I say to keep you down
What can I say to keep you down
What can I say to keep your love around me."
What Can I Say features beautiful piano and expressive instrumentation. While I have heard other interpretations of the lyrics, the preceding is the one that makes the sense, but I invite you to interpret what it means to you.

Listen Here!

Lyrics Here¡

For more Van Hunt hear these: Seconds Of Pleasure, Anything, Mean Sleep, Precious, and Down Here In Hell (With You).

1 comment:

  1. I Love It!!! I Love It!!! I Love It!!! Thank You sooooooooo much for reviewing Van Hunt!!!!! You know I think he is a very gifted songwriter and doesn't receive a quarter of the credit he deserves!!! (I also want bashfully Thank You for the compliment)

    ReplyDelete