Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day 14: You Are The Best Thing

Good day! I hope you've all been enjoying the song selections thus far. We're almost halfway there, with 23 followers and no word back on the job proposal it's looking like I won't quite hit the mark I aimed for. But it's cool, in the process I've discovered a new love for writing and of course for music, so in any case this has been far from a lost cause, and I have you all to thank for that. So, Thank You. Today I will introduce you to Ray LaMontagne, he's kind of shy, but you'd never guess it from hearing his powerful voice. He was spurred to quit his job as a shoemaker and begin singing and writing songs one morning after being woken by Treetop Flyer by Stephen Stills. He looks something like Jesus in the 70's (see below), and sounds something like a cross between Van Morrison, Joe Cocker, and some other guy. Followers (hehe!, I have "followers"), You Are The Best Thing that ever happened to me. Well, lets not carried away, you all are a good thing. Perhaps not the best, but good, and I appreciate your support.

Song: You Are The Best Thing
Artist: Ray LaMontagne
Album: Gossip In The Grain (2008)

You Are The Best Thing kicks into action with a bad, and I mean BAD, horns arrangement before transitioning smoothly into a sugary sweet guitar favored melody. The instrumentation is classic and sounds as if it could have been taken from The Temptations and slowed down to fit Ray's gruff, smooth vocal delivery. Mr. LaMontagne raspily grits his way through this sweet, carefree tune like only he can. As long as You Are The Best Thing is playing through your speakers your loved one will seem like a saint, Ray cannot be held responsible for what happens when the music stops.

Listen to it here

Lyrics here

Like Ray LaMontagne? Listen to Crazy, Trouble, and Meg White.

1 comment:

  1. Well, one thing's for sure: "You are the best thing that's happened to me"....I love you babe and I truly look forward to reading your words everyday!!!

    ReplyDelete